The Company is trustee of three main grant-making foundations and four schools foundations. The latter were established by members of the Company in the 16th and 17th centuries and now support eleven schools in both the maintained and independent sectors. The Foundations own the land and buildings of the schools and provide income to them, and the Company provides a number of governors for all the schools. There are about 10,000 pupils in all and nearly 1,400 staff.
Thomas Aldersey's Educational Foundation (1594) supports the Bunbury Aldersey Church of England Primary School in Cheshire. The William Jones's Schools Foundation (1614) supports Monmouth School, Haberdashers' Monmouth School for Girls and Haberdashers' Agincourt School in Monmouthshire. The Haberdashers' Adams' Grammar School Charity (1656) supports Adams' Grammar School at Newport in Shropshire and the Haberdashers' Aske's Charity (1690) supports Haberdashers' Aske's Boys' School and Haberdashers' Aske's School for Girls, both at Elstree and the Haberdashers' Aske's Federation in Lewisham, consisting of Haberdashers' Aske's Hatcham College, Haberdashers' Aske's Knights Academy and Haberdashers' Aske's Crayford Academy (the latest addition to the Haberdasher family of schools, formed in 2009). In 2008, a new Trust, called the Haberdashers' Adams Federation Trust, was formed to support the new Abraham Darby Academy.
Apart from its schools, the Company’s other significant activity is charitable grant-making. In the year ending June 2014, grants and donations from the Company’s charitable foundations totalled £900,000. 60% of the value of these grants was for education and training; 29% for welfare, 8% for Christianity and the Church and 3% for other areas. The Company is trustee of almshouses in Newport, Shropshire and is patron of eight Church of England livings.
The Company has affiliations with HMS ST. ALBANS; The Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment; IX B Squadron RAF; The VII Battalion The Rifles 'F' Company and the 1475(Dulwich) Squadron Air Training Corps.
There are currently 943 men and women who are members of the Company and support its work, which is led by the Master and Wardens, who are elected annually, and the Court of Assistants who, with Liverymen, form the specialist committees that guide the Company’s charitable and corporate activities.
The Company is eighth in the order of precedence of Livery Companies (order established in 1516) and as such is a member of the "Great Twelve Companies". There are now over one hundred Livery Companies undertaking trade, professional and charitable work.
Front view of the Hall building