History of the Halls

The Hall is the headquarters of, and central to, the Company's activities. It houses the Company staff and accommodates the regular meetings of the various committees that conduct the Company's affairs, as well as the social events held during the year.

The Company's first Hall was completed in 1458. The Hall was located on the corner of Staining Lane and Maiden Lane (now Gresham Street) and subsequently destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666.

The second Hall was built on the same site between 1667-71 and was designed by Edward Jerman (who had worked in the City with Sir Christopher Wren). This hall was periodically extended and improved and stood until 1940 when it burnt down after an air raid.

The third Hall was opened in June 1956 and integrated within a commercial office development. In 1996 the offices were redeveloped and the Company moved to temporary offices in Bartholomew Close, EC1, while it acquired a new site in West Smithfield on which its new Hall, designed by Michael Hopkins and Partners, has been built.

The fourth Hall, opened by Her Majesty The Queen in 2002.