- THE COMPANY
- THE HALL
- FIND US
Dame Mary Weld by her Will dated 1623 gave money for the purchase of patronages, one of which was:
Albrighton, Shropshire (now the United Benetice of Albrighton, Boningale and Donington)
Incumbent: The Revd Jill Warren
Telephone: 01902 373415
St. Mary Magdalene Church, Albrighton is one of the oldest in Shropshire. There is an imposing pre-Norman cross in the churchyard. Construction of the church commenced in 1120. The north aisle was completed in 1256, the chancel in the 1300s and the south aisle in 1794 giving the church its form today. The Church was fully renovated following a major appeal in 1992 and rededicated in November 1994.
The name Albrighton comes from a Saxon called Alberic who settled in the 7th Century and "Albristone", or "Alberic’s Town", is mentioned in the Domesday book. The village population remained static at 900 for many centuries but since 1935 has grown rapidly to over 4,500. In 2008 a pastoral measure created a United Benefice with two adjoining parishes; St Chad's, Boningale and St Cuthbert's Donington. The Company is now joint Patron for the United Benefice with the Martyrs Memorial Trust.