- THE COMPANY
- THE HALL
- FIND US
This patronage results from the former Jones Lectureship Charity. In 1866 the site of three houses owned by the Charity was required for the construction of a new road running from the Embankment to Mansion House in the City of London. The Charity was expanded to include three parishes, which received substantial grants from the payment received for the site.
All Saints, Hatcham, London, SE14
Incumbent: The Revd Canon Owen Beament, MBE
All Saints is situated at the East end of the Old Kent Road, and while in the Borough of Lewisham, the parish covers part of Peckham and South Bermondsey. The area - which coincides with Marlowe Ward - is reputedly one of the poorest in London, but there is nonetheless a vibrancy in the Church and Community.
The services are well attended for an inner city parish, and the congregation is multinational. There are at least ten different nationalities represented at services on Sundays. There is a large and busy community centre at the Church, used by some 35 different groups, ranging from culture groups to dog training and bingo to youth clubs. As part of the centre there is a much used "drop-in" area open to all from 10am to 3pm on weekdays.
The church is involved with local schools - not least Haberdashers' Aske's Hatcham College - and has close links with local organisations, especially Millwall Football Club. The church runs Children's Holiday schemes and community transport as part of its service to the community.