- THE COMPANY
- THE HALL
- FIND US
This patronage results from the former Jones Lectureship Charity. In 1866 the site of three houses owned by the Charity was required for the construction of a new road running from the Embankment to Mansion House in the City of London. The Charity was expanded to include three parishes, which received substantial grants from the payment received for the site.
St. John the Baptist, Hoxton, London, N1
Incumbent: The Revd Graham Hunter BA
To contact St John's Church: telephone 020 7739 9302
St John's Hoxton, completed in 1826, is the only church built to the design of Francis Edwards, Sir John Soane's foremost pupil. In Victorian London the parish's work was recognised by social campaigners, not least the philanthropist Charles Booth, for its welfare work in a deteriorating inner-city environment. To give opportunities to the "local poor", the first Vicar founded what became London's largest savings bank, and St John's National Schools, which still thrive. From its hugely popular Sunday Schools the church sent many missionaries to Africa and Asia, amongst them the first Bishop of Chota Nagpur, the Rt Revd Jabez Cornelius Whiteley, whose father was Chaplain to the Haberdashers' Aske's Hospital School formerly located in Pitfield Street.
A child-friendly church, St John's welcomes people from all backgrounds; thus, it includes a multi-ethnic congregation with many young people and families, and is proud of its Sunday School. The church also provides crèche-facilities.
The parish's commitment to local schooling and welfare work remains as strong as ever.
Sunday Services are at 10.15 am and 6.30 pm